Sunday, October 24, 2010

Brown v. Board & Wise

Reflection

When Tim Wise discussed his book "Between Barack and a Hard Place" he mentioned a lot of fascinating things that really made me take a step back and think, I found that some were related to Brown v Board of Education.  The key point he made related to racial issues was that Obama's election is not the conclusion to equality and I bet if you think back you can see that a lot of people thought it was. Wise argues that it is just another step in the tall, windy staircase that will lead to equality. According to Wise there is still an enormous amount of work to be done.
I found a point that Wise made very interesting. Obama's speaking style, dress, and entire presentation of himself is done is a very "white" way. He has gone to one of the most prestigious colleges and is very intelligent. In fact, some white people consider Obama to be different than "normal" people of color. Wise tells us that there are many other intelligent black people in the United States that may not be taken serious by whites because of the way they do their hair or the way they dress. I found this extremely interesting because it is true, we wouldn’t go letting a person like 50 cent be our president and it just goes to show you that you can “tap” the glass but when will we ever actually “break it.”
The last thing I just want to point out is the quote “Very telling is the oft-heard comment by whites, 'if only I were black, I would have gotten into my first choice college.'" I must admit, although it is terrible to say, that I am a culprit of this sort of line. I have said a number of time that I could still be at Stonehill if I were black and that being white and happy makes my financial aid nonexistent. I feel bad seeing these sorts of things and looking back and seeing how ignorant I could be and I guess that is what these articles are supposed to do-change you.
I must say I really enjoyed this article. I think it was easy to follow along and he had a lot of good points that are real eye openers to the typical white person.


I watched this video in my Psych class last year and i feel like it should be shared, It kind of depressed me in a way but it is a very good look at racism,


In class I'd like to discuss our views on the Obama presidency, do we feel like it help racism?

7 comments:

  1. I also found the "white way" concept very interesting. i never really thought abou it in that way until this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid points, Beckah. Way to use evidence from the article and real life experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about Obama dressing the "white way" its so true

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Darlene and Anne. This assignment really opened my eyes to the way Obama presents himself. The way he dresses and speaks clearly did make a different in his election, when the election for Bush had pretty much nothing to do with the way Bush presented himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that video really got to me! We discussed that expirement in my poli-sci class. Great points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have to say is....WOW....excellent video.....Not to sure how I feel about it yet! Perfect for this class! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This video is so powerful. You could see it when the young colored boy picked the black doll as bad and then picked on of the white dolls as most like him because, he did not want to be the "bad" doll.

    ReplyDelete