Sunday, October 17, 2010

In the Service of What? Kahne & Westheimer

My friend Matt is 22 and has never had a job but does hours on end of community service. On Thanksgiving last year my dad and uncle were sort of nagging him about not having a job since my brother and I have had jobs since we were 14, he replied to my them, "It's easy to make a buck, it's a lot tougher to make a difference." I was shocked by his response but I know that everyone at the table agreed.

In the Service of What? Kahne & Westheimer
Response to Alicias Blog
I thought Alicia had a lot of great points in her blog so I am going to pull out the parts I enjoyed reading instead of posting her entire blog here.

 “I related to the parents for a number of reasons. Myself, as a parent, worry about my child in all that he is doing, daily. If he told me that he was involved in this assignment, would I be upset and concerned, I say probably yes! I think that the parents that were really against this should have done their research on the school and the area before coming to a conclusion. I feel that the phrase, "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover", relates to this topic. They could have even visited the school to check it out, and then make a decision.”
I think this is an awesome point. My parents actually did this to me when I was going into my school for this service learning project. I got the “oh that’s not a good area” and the “do you have to go to THAT school?” I understand where parents are coming from by I am a firm believer in not judging a book by its cover. The school I go to may not be in the best area but the kids are great and I would never go into the school pitying them because of where they live because I think every child has something special to offer.
“We need to realize that we have to be open minded, and not pity the youth that we work with, but try to help and understand where they are coming from. We need to help in the 'change' of their lives, and realize the positive things we can do to help improve and fulfill their lives.”
Open-mindedness is key in teaching. I think Alicia pin pointed this concept that we need to realize that we are making a difference even if it is a tiny difference. Children appreciate the littlest gestures, like asking them how their weekend was. I think it is important to make children feel special, mostly in teaching.
“I also feel that any act in any form that a person provides to help and care about others is spectacular! I found myself wanting to volunteer and help an organization, to better them, and better myself. I have helped out in the cause for the fight for leukemia for children in the past years. Did I visually see an impact, no, but I knew that I was a 'dent in the glass of the foundation.”
I agree with this 100 percent. I always do the little things like donating one dollar to the jimmy fund, or buying a bracelet for breast cancer. I believe that I can make a difference even if it is that one dollar. I do a lot of community service and although I may not see those who I impact I know that as Alicia said I am making a “dent” in the glass, and that, to me, is important.





Breast cancer is something that I always donate to and walk for because one of my close friends mom has been fighting it for years and this video shows how one school made a difference and at 1:10 i think the girl really captures the point of community service.

In class I want to discuss what kinds of community we have done and if we think it made a difference.

4 comments:

  1. Beckah, I like your responses to Alicia's quotes from her blog. Also, your youtube video was really nice, good touch to your blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beckah!!! I am honored! LOL....U did a great job on this post. Loved the utube video! I give you an A+

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to what you and Alicia both said about teaching in the schools that we are. I even wrote about it in my SL paper that my family were shocked and a little worried about me teaching at the school I would be, especially when they learned about the area it was in! But after being in the school, I've learned that those stereotypes are not really true, and the kids are well behaved and great kids who should not be pitied or "feared"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beckah i really like your own response to Alicia’s blog. You both have really good points. i also really liked your youtube video!

    ReplyDelete